Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Just Call it Variance and I'll Feel Better

My Vegas holiday is coming to an end and my poker record is nothing to be proud of. I've played seven Planet Hollywood tournaments, making only one final table for a 'buy in refund', two Mirage tournaments finishing in 18th and 20th out of about 45 runners, one Venetian tournament finishing 35th/107 when someone flopped quads on me, and one Caesars tourney, finishing out of the money in 8th. All the tournaments have followed a similar pattern i.e. tight aggressive early on making a few chips here and there, then going card dead when we get to two tables and having to push with a non premium hand which loses to a premium hand.
My tournament loss is $790.

In cash poker I stopped playing no limit so my losses only amount to $492 as we stand. I've enjoyed playing cash more than the tournaments as I've been playing in the same room as Brunson, Laak, Ivey, Antonius, Benyamine, Deeb, Cloutier etc, and I've had a laff. I was sitting at a table in the Bellagio one morning and two Scousers were at the next table chatting away, until the dealer leaned over to them and said in total sincerity 'Guys, English only at the table'. I nearly spat my frothy coffee on the carpet I laughed so much. What was even funnier is a couple of the Americans at the table nodded their heads! Classic.

I played a few PH tourneys with an MTV film crew following a nob of a player who is trying to make it big in poker. The program is called 'Poker - Life's a Gamble' or similar. After I bust out again I was playing cash with one of the producer who asked me what I thought of their boy and I said he has good instincts but he's a cock, to which he said he'd like to get that on film! If they play that on MTV it would be one of my proudest moments, as the bloke is a real class one tool...

As well as prices going up and shops and restaurants closing down in Vegas I've noticed breath standards have dropped sharply. If I had a pound for every bloke I've sat next to at a poker table this holiday with breath like he'd just been rimming a cow's arse I'd have about ten pounds now. I can't understand it - when I get out of bed I can tell my mouth smells like a sewer so I brush my teeth, have some food and maybe even have a Tic Tac. What I don't do is walk straight out of the door and sign up for the 10am at Planet Hollywood. Maybe that's why my record is so bad...

One positive note is the wife has won two tournaments for a total of $1400, which helps the bankroll but continues to fuel the fire that signals she's a better player than me. Seeing the Grand Canyon after six years and Niagara Falls are sights I'll always remember, oh and getting a picture with a miserable TJ Cloutier was a highlight.

Niagara/Vegas Gaming Record
Poker - $1080 Down
Craps - $1010 Down
Slots - $1840 Down
Roulette - $350 Down
Caribbean Stud - $30 Down

Total - $4310 Down - £2693 in the hole

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"English only at the table" is absolutely classic! I'd have pissed myself if I had heard that!

ROSSI said...

LOL i live in Liverpool and find em hard to understand.

rubbish said...

Yeah, that was a classic line.

Unknown said...

Lol, Scousers line is classic!