Sunday, June 15, 2008

WSOP 2008 Event 27 - $1500 NLHE 14th June 2008, 3000 Starting Chips

Welcome to my blog page - please feel free to advise me on all the donkey plays I make and praise me up for all the world class bluffs I (don't) make. Anyway I'll get this started with my main event, the biggest tournament I've ever entered, the $1500 No Limit Hold Em event at the WSOP 2008.
I've made about $1000 online this year so I had the money to buy into this event. I was going to do some satellites but I did one last year at the Mirage for a WPT side event and got pasted so I didn't bother. I bought in on Saturday 7th June and saw Marcel Luske there entering a 5k event. Had a nice photo with him, he's taller than he looks on TV. From 7th - 14th June I was nervous as hell but kept thinking I'll give it a shot and have a story to tell.

Key Hand 1
Level 2, blinds 50/100, 42 mins left.
I have AKo early position (EP). I raise to 500, one caller from button, flop KJ8 rainbow, Nice. Opponent bets 400, I grab all my chips and lift them to stick them all in. Just as I move forward the 1000 chip slips from my sweaty mitts and my fumbled attempt at pushing turns out to be a call. Schoolboy error! Turn is a blank and opponent says 'Go ahead' as if to entice an all in. Now that gets me thinking has he made a loose call preflop with KJ? I think for a bit then go all in with my last 1200. He calls and shows AJ for a flopped 2nd pair. River no help and I double up to 4650. I'm on the road to glory.

Hand 2
Lvl 2, 34 mins left, 4650 chips
QQ Small Blind (SB). Two limps, I raise to 400, both call. Flop 9,10,5 two spades. I bet 800 and both opponents fold. I wasn't messing around with letting someone draw to a flush. Up to 5250.
I see Phil Helmuth arrive and sitting four tables from me. I get up and take a quick picture of him. He looks grumpy.

Hand 3
Lvl 3 54 mins left, 100/200
AKo, under the gun (UTG) player limps, I raise to 800 from button, aggressive player goes all in for about 2500 more, most of my chips. I think for a bit and decide he has a pair, AK or at best AQ. Not willing to gamble on a 50/50 just yet as I felt there would be a better spot later on. Maybe I should have pushed, maybe I lost my bottle. Wasn't too happy with my play there.
Lvl 3 28 mins left, Phil Helmuth bust out, hohoho I lasted longer than him.

No comments: