Thursday, April 9, 2009

Another Cash at the Hairy Crapshoot

Last night I had an urge to play poker with a load of hairy geezers, win some money, have a beer and watch the footy so I went to the Empire for their 6.30pm super turbo £20 re buy. The tournament is mostly push or fold for me, but there are a couple of key hands I'll recount ;

Hand 1
Blinds at 50/100, I have 2200 on the button and raise a limper or two with AdJd.

Flop AA9

Under the gun limper pushes and I insta call. He tables pocket nines for a flopped boat. The turn and river don't help and I'm down to my starting stack of 1000.

Hand 2
Next hand I call a hijack raise with KJo, the flop comes King high and I push when the preflop raiser checks. The sneaky bugger wanted to check raise me, as he called with KT and lost when his kicker was no good. Back up to about 2,300.

I added on and survived to the final table where they were paying top seven. I hate this about poker tournaments, in my book you should get something for getting to the final table, so I always try and make a deal. The hairy, scary lot weren't having any of it last night so I had to clench my arse cheeks and hope I didn't bubble again.

I was short stacked and called a clock on a bloke who took about five minutes to go all in with pocket sevens which I thought was reasonable as the blinds went up every fifteen minutes. I ended up busting in 6th when I picked up A7o on the button with no callers and pushed, only to be called by the big blind with pocket Kings. No miracle ace and I was out of there with £70. Only £30 profit on the night but better than a loss.

In summary I played my usual super tight super aggressive style the pros used to play. I know I need to loosen up and take a few more flops but when I do I seem to over commit and get spanked. The wife is much more aggressive (in every sense) than me and takes great joy in pushing all in with KTo when there's been a raise, an all in and a call, only to see the flop come King, King, Ten....... I just don't get that type of luck.

On a positve note that's my third cash in a row at The Empire, long may it continue.

No comments: