Sunday, March 1, 2009

Game Selection Pays Off Big Time

I've waited for weeks to play my final phase heads up match on PKR, checking the stats of potential opponents and looking for someone with worse stats than me. I finally found an opponent with stats that made him look like a beginner, so in theory I should be able to beat him and take the $380 1st place for a much needed boost to my SNG profits.

True to his ranking he called raises too much then folded to continuation bets, bet too much preflop with good hands so I could safely fold, and wasn't tricky enough. Despite all that I found myself with $3390 to his $4610 as I had been trying a bit too hard to push him around and he found a hand or two to call my river bets. Then this happened :

Penultimate Hand
Blinds 150/300
From SB I raise to 450 with JJ, villain raises all in and I call, praying for at least a race. He has 99 to my joy and the Jacks hold, I can't help but let out a small cheer...

The Last Wonderful Hand
I'm BB and the poker gods smile on me by giving me 99 this time. The villain puts his last $1200 in and I have an easy call, he has A2 of diamonds, the dreaded Ace doesn't come and I'm $380 better off - Cue the dancing, cheering and five minutes of running around the house naked until I realise the woman opposite can see my bare arse through the kitchen window. A tad embarrassing but $380 makes it worthwhile. I start my next phase campaign today!

Profit / (Loss) - Both live and online
Cash - $770
Single Tables - $1642
Multi Tables - $167
Total - $2579

No comments: