Friday, June 19, 2009

Drainage Wars - A Victory!

Letter to the neighbours :

'I wrote to you all on 12th June regarding the drain clearance company I had to call out that day, and the fact that, as we are all responsible, I would appreciate the four properties splitting the cost. Thankyou for the prompt payment number 6. I’ve not heard from numbers 8 and 9 XXXXX Road so I have to assume you’re unsure whether you have to split the cost of this shared problem. I’ve been in touch with XXX XXXX, the Civil Protection Manager of XXXXXX Council who said ‘With regard to obtaining contributions from your neighbours, they are legally liable and you can go to through the small claims procedure in the County Courts to recover the sums due to you.’ He also gave me an official letter which pretty much says what I said a week ago, but I’ve included it below anyway:
Sewer Blockages – XXXXXX Road
As you may be aware, I had to call out a drain clearing company on 12th June 2009 to clear a blockage in the private sewer that serves Nos. 6,7,8 and 9 XXXXX Road. Consequently an account for £60 has been sent to me.

The blockage occurred in the section of pipe through which all four properties drained, thus the pipe is owned in equal share by those properties. As one of those part owners, I should be pleased to receive a contribution of 15 (one fourth of the total) towards the account.

Settlement of the account is due immediately, so I would appreciate your contribution as soon as possible.

With that in mind, and in the interest of being good neighbours and not falling out over something so trivial, I’d appreciate payment of the fifteen pounds from each house promptly. If you once again ignore my letter, then on the next occasion a drain clearance is necessary I’ll be forced to go through the Council, who will order the work to be completed and back charge all houses at a greatly increased rate. That rate may be more like eighty pounds each as opposed to fifteen and will be legally enforceable by the Council through the County Court. I hope you’ll agree in the long run it’s easier to do this the civilized way.'

One hour after that letter was delivered they came marching up to my door, money in hand, and paid up like puppies who'd been told off. The pen really is mightier than the sword!

No comments: